Thursday, April 29, 2021

The Burglar Who Traded Ted Williams by Lawrence Block

 A small vaccinated gathering in the used book store of ideas.  None had evidence that Chalmers Mustard of Boston actually existed, let alone created baseball cards.  Heard among the shelves:


Rob:  I was introduced to Lawrence Block's writing some 25-30 years ago by Sandia colleague, Dave Vopicka. About the same time Block came to Albq on a book tour. He was very entertaining, so I soon read a few of the books in his Matthew Scudder series of novels. Scudder had been an NYPD detective, but left the NYPD to become a private detective. He also had a drinking problem and was a regular attendee at AA meetings. Some of the Scudder books were pretty grim, so I was glad when Block launched the Burglar book series. 

Then, a few years ago, the LTBC read the first book, I think, in Michael Orendurff's series of Pot Thief books. There was a passing mention in the book of a Bernie Rhodenbarr book. Also, the Pot Thief character is sort of a Santa Fe/Taos version of Bernie in NYC. The LTBC met with Orrendurff by phone to discuss his book. I asked him if he had had any correspondence with Lawrence Block, and he said No. Kind of surprised me.. I haven't read any further Pot Thief books -- there have been eight, I think. 

When I bought the Ted Williams Burglar book I also got an accompanying Lawrence Block book, "The Burglar In Short Order" in which he explains the origins and development of the Burglar books, and he includes several new Burglar stories.




Karl:  This is a fun book. Entertaining. Humorous. Enjoyable. 

I found the solution to be a little too contrived. Using an old Nick Charles or Hercule Poirot meeting at the end to reveal to everyone how the crimes were committed and who did what to whom – and why -- seemed a little out-of-place for the Bernie character, but it’s a tried-and-true way to end a mystery, even if not an imaginative one. I also thought that the author tried a little too hard to make all the conversations “snappy” and “witty.” 

Nevertheless, there were a number of pretty good chuckles to be had. The parody on the Sue Grafton titles was clever and funny. The poetry reading summary was hysterical. 

I liked the book enough that I’ve already purchased a couple more in the Bernie Rhodenbarr series. Given the body of Block’s work, I’m surprised that I didn’t know of him until this book suggestion.


and from locked inside the bathroom:

Had knee replacement surgery last week and thought I would have plenty of time to read this month's selection; however, my rehab schedule has left me with little to no time for reading. Sorry, Rob, would liked to have joined in the discussion. 

Regards, Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment