Thursday, September 30, 2021

Travels With Charley: In Search of America by John Steinbeck

Nine road-weary former warriors gathered at the New Mexico Veterans Memorial, turned left past the Center for Visitors and headed for the Rose Garden. No dogs were present, but it was Americana in the morning. Hot dogs were on the grill, sweet relish for all, and the discussions began.
  




from well beyond the range of Rocinante:
I am sorry I won't be able to attend this meeting of the LTBC.  I will be attending a reunion at Ghost Ranch.  I would have enjoyed hearing what others had to say about your selection and certainly would have enjoyed eating the hot dogs.  My comments regarding Travels With Charley follow.
  I was delighted when Keith selected Travels With Charley. I read it the first time over 30 years ago when I was ten years younger than Steinbeck was when he went on his search for America. Reading it now after reaching my “greater age” and after doing my share of wandering, I believe I have even a better appreciation for his experience and his ability to describe it. 
  Reading the first page of Steinbeck’s travelogue where he describes his urge to travel, I was immediately reminded of the opening lines of my own memoir, the creation of which none other than Keith had assigned each member of the LTBC to complete three years ago: “I’ve always been a wanderer…. I’ve always been on the move looking for something different. It comes naturally and started early. It’s in my blood.” Steinbeck claims his itch to travel was not cured as he aged and concludes “once a bum always a bum.” I was hooked and found it difficult to put the book down. 
  Often, I felt like I was riding along. Many segments of the journey Steinbeck describes reminded me of some of the observations I had made when traveling the “red and black roads” (avoiding interstates) crisscrossing the country. His conclusions seem prophetic when I think about what we have seen over the past 60 years since he made his trip—feelings of uncertainty, racial tensions, technological changes, environmental destruction. I am glad I read it again. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would highly recommend it to my friends. A+
   Regards,  Jack
 

No comments:

Post a Comment