Friday, July 29, 2016

The Thanatos Syndrome by Walker Percy

Nine stalwart pongids gathered in the Spanish-moss covered forests of Ventana del Sol, walking quite well and beating their chests occasionally as they proclaimed to suffer no ill effects from a little straight-up Na-24.  The testimonies follow:

Bob S:  I think this is between a B and B-.  Some good descriptive writing; I enjoyed the first part of the book.  It spun out of control, and I didn't enjoy the latter part.  I can't recommend this book.  It was intriguing: the whole idea of tinkering with personality via chemicals is still prevalent in our society.  The conflict and comparison of Humanism vs Science, and the Catholicism sanctity of Life vs destroying life via Eugenics.  B-

Dick Arms:  The plot devices were so contrived, really contrived, that I would not recommend the book.  Nothing fit together.  C

Mike:  Walker Percy managed to put the "You" back in euthanasia.  We read his first novel (The Moviegoer) and now his final novel; and perhaps his best and his worst.  The first part, the medical mystery, was intriguing, fascinating, well written.  But when he had the 'bad guys' react to the discovery of their plot with a "Hey, no big thing!  We will save the world!  Come join us!" then apparently he had to think of something to make them really bad - so thus we are into the child molestation by happy (if not hairy) apes.  Or not.  And how do you convince an entire Board of Directors to all drink the molar concentration of heavy sodium? Just the threat of the crazy uncle with the shotgun?  B-

Dick J:  I found the book very frustrating.  I read sections, and said, "Oh, this is very good!"  Then the drinking of the molar concentration Na-24.  B-

Charlie P:  The book started out well - he writes well.  I thought, oh, Science Fiction? Themes were interesting:  science vs humanism.  The Characters were really interesting - Vergil and The Uncle and Hudeen.  The Ending not so good.  I am not a prude, but the worst for me was the perversion of the children.  Now I told my wife NOT to read it.  C

Jack:  I echo Mike and Charlie - I did enjoy the first part, and I wish he would have spent more time on Ethics:  Bob Comeaux and Tom More argument re making the world a better place.  B-

Gary S (guest):  I am not a big reader, and I did not read the book.  But from your discussion tonight, my reaction is that it irritates me to hear of authors completely misrepresenting nuclear stuff - an isotope of sodium would react in the body just like a regular molecule of sodium, not create personality disorders.

Rob E:  I thought he was trying to bring up some big moral issues - it could be good/bad intentions.  The child molestation was unnecessary, as if he didn't already have enough against these guys.  I enjoyed his writing style and his flashes of humor.  I had major issues with it:  B

No comments:

Post a Comment