Thursday, February 25, 2021

Jack by Marilynne Robinson

 




Jack:  I found Jack a complex but rewarding read. Complex in structure and theme but rewarding and even enjoyable in the way in which Robinson pulled me into the theological and social debates surrounding predestination, common grace, and interracial relationships. Considering the role the church has played in my life and the doubts and struggles I have had surrounding my own faith and life experiences, I could relate to the conflicts between Jack and the church and the theology his father represents. I believe Robinson did a good job getting the reader inside Jack’s mind, showing us his torment and the complexity of his struggle. On the other hand, I thought Della came across a bit flat, which was unfortunate since she was depicted (at least in Jack’s mind) as the epitome of love and goodness. I find Robinson’s wring style very visual, which makes me feel as if I am there, and thus strengthens the story and the conflicts that play out.

No comments:

Post a Comment